Herbsused in natural skincare and beauty products can provide great anti-ageing properties. Given the continuous growth in the natural skincare industry, paired with a boom in the number of anti-ageing products on the market, Lorraine Dallmeier, Director of Formula Botanica, here delves deeper into what “anti-ageing” actually means, and shares with us here favourite natural ingredients for anti-ageing the skin.
What is Anti-Ageing?
For most of us, anti-ageing means holding back the signs of ageing on our skin – preventing or reducing the appearance of wrinkles, firming up skin and dealing with uneven skin tone or age spots. Ultimately, anti-ageing is about looking younger and finding that elusive skincare fountain of youth.
There are thousands of skincare products on the market which will claim to bring age-defying benefits, but the vast majority of them are filled with all sorts of ingredients you don’t have a hope of recognising or identifying. Many consumers nowadays want to buy natural skincare products and this is where the power of plants can play an important role.
When looking for good anti-ageing skincare herbs, we want to find plants that are high in antioxidants, as well as containing anti-inflammatory and regenerating properties. Anti-ageing herbs should provide a bright complexion to the skin, protect it against the elements and provide moisture and nourishment.
Best Anti-Ageing Herbs for Natural Skincare
Do such miracle plants actually exist?! The good news is that they do! Here are five of the better known anti-ageing herbs here:
1. Rose and rosehip (Rosa canina) – both rose petal extract and rosehip extract are known for their anti-ageing properties. Rose oil is found helpful when moisturisation and regeneration is needed. Rose buds and petals are beneficial to all skin types, but particularly so for mature skins. Rosehip oil has been shown to improve skin hydration and regeneration and is frequently used in anti-ageing and antioxidant products.
2. Chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla)– this little wonder herb has clinically proven anti-inflammatory and repairing properties. Chamomile has a range of different properties and is antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. It is also considered to be hypoallergenic with the ability to neutralise skin irritants. There are two main different types of chamomile, with German chamomile considered to be more potent than Roman chamomile given its essential oil’s slightly higher content of azulene, an organic compound which is thought to help stop deterioration of skin cells.
3. Lavender (Lavendula officinalis) – much like chamomile, lavender is also credited with many different properties – it is anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antibacterial and is used to treat wounds. Lavender oil is said to stimulate cellular growth and regeneration, as well as tone the skin. It contains antioxidant properties which help in anti-ageing skincare products.
4. Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) – this ancient herb is described as soothing, healing and softening. The plant has a rich silica (mineral) content and can strengthen connective tissue. Horsetail is said to provide a healthier skin tone and regenerate the skin. It is also said to absorb the most gold from the soil than any other plant (minute amounts) so this herb is precious in many different ways!
5. Green tea (Camellia sinensis) – this wonderful drink also offers many skincare benefits. It is a powerful antioxidant and is frequently used in anti-ageing skincare. It contains a compound called catechin which has been shown to protect cells from free radicals. Research has shown that these compounds are protective for the skin, providing UV protection and improving the appearance and hydration of skin.
About Formula Botanica
Formula Botanica, the ODLQC accredited Online Organic Cosmetic Science School founded in 2012 with over 1500 students and graduates in 86 countries. Director of Formula Botanica Lorraine Dallmeier BSc (HONS) MSc MIEMA MRSB CEnv, a Biologist by training, developed a love of plants for cosmetic application after working in the field of environmental management for over a decade. Lorraine is a Chartered Environmentalist, as well as a full Member of the Royal Society of Biology, the Society of Cosmetic Scientists and the Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment.
Formula Botanica’s virtual HQ is located in the UK but they are an international Organic Cosmetic Science School with an international team of experts. There are 10 digital courses at present, 100% online, which students can study at their own pace in their own time. The courses teach everything you need to know in order to go from complete beginner to organic cosmetic formulator and teacher. Many graduates have used their courses to successfully launch or grow their own cosmetics business. They fly the flag for organic and natural skincare all over the world and are ambassadors for a healthier, safer way of life.
Lorraine Dallmeier of Formula Botanica is available for expert comment on beauty formulas, ingredients, both synthetic and natural, beauty and business advice. Business case studies and success stories are available for placement.
For all enquiries contact Rebecca Goodyear Health & Beauty:
Just because it’s not so hot at home, doesn’t mean we should do away with sun protection. Green Energy Organics’ sun care not only protects from UVA and UVB rays, but helps to anti-age the skin, thanks to its unique plant stem cell complex. So whether you’re staying at home this winter, off on winter pursuits or chasing some winter sun, don’t forget your sunscreen!
Le Rituel Solaire Suncare by Green Energy Organics
Protect your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays with organic suncare and sunscreen products from Green Energy Organics. Le Ritual Solaire is a natural sunscreen from Milan that gently moisturises and helps to prevent age spots. Product benefits –
Sun Protection This uniquely active anti-ageing sun care allows you to develop a radiant, long lasting tan with less sun exposure. This innovative formulation provides a reinforced sun protection (UVB/UVA filters), and protects against dehydration.
Anti-Age Combining powerfully rejuvenating organic plant stem cells, with extraordinarily rich anti-ageing defence compounds, ensuring you enjoy safe sunbathing whilst regaining or retaining the qualities of youthful skin. A powerful combination of organic plant stem cells of buckthorn, green tea, red currant, marjoram, along with sweet almond oil, shea butter and black currant fruit extract and sun protection minerals, resulting in a reliable and truly unique anti-ageing sun care range.
Easy to Use Use a higher UVB/UVA product during the first few days of sun exposure. Apply frequently to promote a longer-lasting tan and improve skin texture. After sunbathing, apply Anti-Ageing After Sun for extra moisturisation and re-hydration of the skin.
A prodigious and revolutionary “active” speciality, which combats skin ageing on all fronts. Combine the vital rejuvenating power of organic plant stem cells, extraordinary rich of ultimate organics anti ageing molecular defence to regain the qualities of youthful skin in four astonishing complementary actions. Non-oily, moisturising, broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection.
Anti Ageing Sun Cream SPF30 150ml RRP £ 14.95
This SPF 30 sunscreen retains moisture and protects the skin from sunburn. Prevents the appearance of age spots. Recommended for all skin types, even the most sensitive.
Baby & Toddler Sun Cream SPF50 150ml RRP £12.95
This SPF 50 sun lotion retains moisture and protects skin of all ages from sunburn. Tested by dermatologists and pediatricians. For all skin types, even the most sensitive.
Anti Ageing After Sun 150ml RRP £14.95
This gentle moisturiser prolongs your suntan, helps restore moisture, prevents premature ageing of the skin and the appearance of age spots after sun exposure. Absorbent; no need for product removal or rinsing.
Believe it or not; Christmas Day is only one week away now, so spoil that special someone this festive season with a gorgeous gift from Freshness of the Morning. Whether you’re looking for body lotions, bath oils, hand creams, skincare must-haves or just an indulgent treat, FOM London have got the perfect Christmas gift idea for everyone at http://fomcosmetics.co.uk/gift-shop.html
Achieve natural active beauty all year round!
Complete Anti-Ageing Set for Combination Skin WORTH £160 – £99.00
This Complete Anti-Ageing collection consists of six full sized products for the face and body to deliver maximum anti-ageing results to normal or combination skin types. FOM’s highly concentrated bio-active formulas tone, firm, protect and repair your skin unveiling a fresh, radiant and youthful look.
This set contains:
Revitalising Eye Care Balm 25ml
Orange Blossom Facial Cleanser 200ml
Firming Body Lotion 200ml
Antioxidant Facial Mask 50g
Age Defying Facial Moisturiser 100ml
Overnight Rose Repair Serum 25ml
Age Defying Hand Care Duo WORTH £35 – £28
Our hands require extra care to balance, maintain and seal moisture so when it comes to anti-ageing here is your answer! This light emulsion serum is packed with bio-active botanical extracts, Hyaluronic Acid, Marula fruit and powerful Antioxidants to help protect the skin from future free radicals. It lightens age spots with Liquorice extract and delivers moisture to help with dry and patchy skin.
Dressed in an elegant yet sophisticated glass packaging this gift comes in olive green sating bag with burgundy flower. Featuring 100% pure essential oil scents, this set contains:
Age Defying Hand Scrub 60g
Age Defying Hand Serum 50ml
Beauty Bath Oil – 100ml – £27
“Needless to say you open the bottle and are instantly transported somewhere else, somewhere more tranquil… It is very hydrating so you may not need to moisturise after you have used this…” – Ana Goes Green.
This nourishing bath is a blend of over 15 pure essential oils in a coconut and jojoba base designed to relax and smooth your mind and body. A few drops in your bath will leave you skin silky soft, nourished and delicately fragranced featuring lavender, geranium, and bergamot.
Are you ready to be revived for another day’s work?
Here are a few tips to help you age gracefully, naturally. From Erin McCann, Nutritional Consultant for Unbeelievable Health.
1) Increase Your Antioxidants
Antioxidants play an important role in reducing inflammation, repairing damaged cells and restoring balance throughout the body. These actions aid in prevention of chronic disease such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer. They also aid in reducing the signs of aging by repairing damage to the skin from sun and pollutants and improving skin elasticity. Increase antioxidants by:
• Eating more fruits, like berries and citrus fruit, and vegetables, like leafy greens and squashes.
• Take a quality, natural supplement containing antioxidant rich plant extracts, like Bee Prepared Immune Support Daily Defence or Max Strength.
2) Maintain a balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty Acids
The balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty acids is important for reducing inflammation in the body, supporting cognitive function and for maintaining cellular. Ideally the ratio should be between 1/5 to 1/2 (Omega 3/Omega 6). When consuming the typical ‘Western Diet’ this ratio can be 1/16. This balance can be maintained by:
• Reducing processed, refined foods and take aways in your diet.
• Eating fresh oily fish like wild salmon, mackerel, haddock and sardines 3 or more times a week.
• Cooking with coconut oil as an alternative to butter, margarine and other oils.
3) Eat balanced meals and snacks regularly.
Research has found that excess insulin can speed the ageing process and create inflammation in your body. You can balance insulin and blood sugar levels by:
• Eating meals with a combination of complex carbohydrates, quality vegetarian or lean animal proteins, and antioxidant rich vegetables.
• Having quality snacks between meals, such as hummus with vegetables or oatcakes, to maintain energy and balance insulin levels.
• Reduce stimulants like coffee which can increase insulin production.
4) Exercise regularly
Exercise not only aids in weight management but it supports your body with improving energy production, immune function and bone density. Increase your exercise throughout the day by:
• Taking a brisk 20 minute walk each day.
• Opt to use the stairs or walking to destinations when you can.
• Incorporate resistance training into your regime such as yoga, pilates or weights
5) Support immune function.
As you age, your immune system may not work as efficiently. A well functioning immune system will aid your body’s natural defences against infection and chronic illness. The best ways to support immunity are:
• Get adequate sleep and rest.
• Find ways to manage stress. Stress hormones have natural immunosuppressive actions.
• Eat immune supporting nutrient rich foods containing zinc, B vitamins, vitamin C and flavoioids.
• Get out in the sun for a dose of Vitamin D.
• Take natural, plant extract immune support supplements like Bee Prepared Immune Support, which will balance and support immune function without over stimulating it.
Sea kelp is the richest natural source of the essential mineral iodine and can help regulate metabolism.
A study showed that the form of iodine in kelp removes free radicals from blood cells.
There’s plenty of evidence that suggests taking sea kelp supplements can boost hair growth. It contains nutrients that are linked to hair health and strength, so it may help reduce split ends and breakages.