These brownies are the best I’ve ever eaten! A chocolate lover’s dream – you absolutely have to try them!
2 tbsp. ground flax seeds
6 tbsp. hot water
175 g (¾ cup) vegan butter or coconut oil + more for greasing
250 g (1¼ cups) sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
150 g (1¼ cups) all-purpose or light spelt flour
75 g (⅔ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
approx. 80 ml (⅓ cup) plant milk
vegan chocolate drops (as many as you like)
1. Mix the flax seeds with the hot water and leave to soak for approx. 5 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 175 °C (350°F). Grease a brownie tin (approx. 28 x 18 cm/11 x 7½ in.) with a little vegan butter and line with baking paper. (Greasing the tin will make the baking paper stick better.)
3. Slowly melt the vegan butter in a saucepan. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and stir well.
4. Sieve the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and mix together. Pour in the melted butter mixture, plant milk and flax seeds and combine to form a smooth batter (make sure you don’t over-mix). Stir in half the chocolate drops.
5. Pour the batter into the brownie tin and smooth over the top. Sprinkle with the rest of the chocolate drops and bake for approx. 30 minutes or until the brownies have reached the desired consistency. (The longer you bake the brownies for, the drier they will be. If you like them nice and gooey, bake for less time.)
6. Leave the brownies to cool for 15 minutes. Using the baking paper to help you, remove from the tin and cool for a further 10 minutes.
7. Cut into individual brownies and enjoy!