Mass transit, such as tubes, buses, trains and planes, are optimal reservoirs for bacterial growth. Close quarters and crowded conditions on public transport facilitate the spread of bacteria between commuters. In fact, it is believed that a single sneeze can travel up to 40 metres!
With over three million people using the London tube network each day, the potential for individuals to be exposed to and pass along cold and flu germs is extremely high. Nevertheless, the daily commute is a ‘necessary evil’ for many of us. A well-functioning immune system is the best defence against catching something on your commute, and fortunately there are a number of ways to improve immunity naturally.
Here are some top tips for to avoid catching a cold on your commute:
- Wash your hands regularly. Washing your hands is a simple but effective way to halt the spread of colds and flu. Why not also keep a mini-bottle of antibacterial gel in your handbag to keep your hands clean when on the go?
- Get adequate sleep. Lack of sleep and fatigue can severely lower your immunity. If you find switching off difficult, try a bedtime winding-down routine. Relax with a warm bath or shower and have a warm drink of camomile tea or milk. Turn off electronics and try winding down with a book instead.
- Reduce caffeine intake. Caffeine reduces nutrient absorption, which can affect immune cell function. Substituting green tea for coffee or black tea can provide a boost with the added benefit of antioxidants.
- Start your day with a glass of warm water with lemon. Lemon water provides antioxidants and Vitamin C to support the immune system. Drinking water on waking is also a great habit to get into in order to help reach your daily recommended intake.
- Take a natural immune support supplement. Bee Prepared Immune Support is packed with immune boosting, nutrient dense, antioxidant rich ingredients including bee propolis, olive leaf extract, elderberry and more. All of these have natural antibacterial, antibiotic and antiviral actions, whilst the antioxidants in Bee Prepared help to reduce symptoms and speed recovery.